Wednesday 16 November 2011

Agape's Story from the Occupy Movement

Photo by Aaron Vanimere
Faith without deeds is dead - James 2:26

This is Agape. Like many of the social activist in the Occupy movement, she has received threats from people outside the camp for her involvement in the movement. This is why she doesn't want to show her face on the Internet.


But she wants to tell us her story.

What do you want to be called?

"Agape"

What do you do in Occupy Edmonton?

"I'm pretty busy here most of the time. I work in the kitchen sometimes, cooking meals for other campers. I pick up garbage and straighten up tents. Right now I'm working as a marshal and a medic. That's two roles. I do whatever needs to be done.

What is a marshal?

"That means I'm working to keep the camp secure and safe. I wear this orange vest, and keep an eye on who's in the park and what they're up to. The marshal is also the person people usually come talk to first."

Why are you part of Occupy?

"I've been camping here for a couple of weeks now. I believe the world can change, and I want to help make a difference.

I want to live in a world where people can ride the bus or go downtown and not still feel like their alone even when they're surrounded by people."

Please pray for Agape.
Please pray for Occupy.

No comments:

Post a Comment